Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day 2: Why You Shouldn't Run Two Days in a Row

This is a story of pride and downfall. This is a story of dashed dreams. This is a story of stiffness.

So I decided, being the optimistic foolish girl that I am, that running two days in a row was a fantastic idea. Yeah, knock those miles out! You'll feel so good about yourself! Run Corinne run! I thought to myself. So I got in my workout clothes, jumped on the treadmill, and started running.

BAD IDEA. I thought that pushing myself was a good strategy--and don't get me wrong, your workouts should challenge you! But they shouldn't challenge your body the exact same way two days in a row, or by evening time you might be experiencing a LOT of stiffness :( On the plus side, I got up, I worked out, and now I only have two more miles to run to meet my weekly goal of 6 miles! On the minus side, I am really very sore.

So tomorrow my workout is going to be something different! Probably just sit ups, push ups, calf raises--body weight workouts that are challenging for me at my current fitness level, but not so strenuous that my body takes a beating. I'm pretty silly sometimes in my expectations, and I should learn to be more realistic.

1 comment:

  1. Good idea. I had a trainer that said for the first week you have to push through the soreness. Doing a different workout is a great idea. Keep the muscles engaged while letting the other ones rest. Don't forget to give ALL of them a break at least once a week. Resting is an important part of the strength building too. It allows the tears to heal into stronger tissue. Even the most strenuous workout regimes have 'rest days'. Don't be discouraged if you need one! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete